Frequently Asked Questions

Home > Help Center > Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Here is a list of questions and answers that are often asked. Please contact us if you have a question which is not answered here and we will gladly help.
  • Where is Town Hall?
  • Peletier Town Hall is located at 1603 Hwy 58, Peletier, NC.

    Current hours of operation are:

    Mon - Thurs:
    8:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.

    Office: 252-393-8666
    Fax: 252-393-7027
  • What is Zoning?
  • North Carolina General Statues allows county governments to adopt local zoning ordinances for the purpose of promoting health, safety, morals and/or the general welfare. The Town of Peletier has a Zoning ordinance.
  • How does zoning affect my property?
  • Most property owners find zoning to be more protective than restrictive. There are several zoning classifications, e.g. residential zones, commercial zones.
  • How will zoning protect my property?
  • If you have property in a strictly residential area, zoning can help maintain the character of your neighborhood. Without zoning, a neighboring property can be developed for any type of use-a store, a garage, or a junkyard with no provision for spacing or screening or public input.
  • Top↑
  • How will zoning restrict the use of my property?
  • If you were to propose a change of use of your property, you would need to check on the zoning classification of your property to see if the proposed is permitted. All new buildings will be required to comply with current standards. Town of Peletier Zoning review/permit is included in the building permit application process.
  • Will zoning affect my property taxes?
  • Your property tax value is based on current market values of similar and adjacent properties. Property values are not changed based on the zoning of your property.
  • When am I required to obtain local zoning approval?
  • You're required to obtain local land use/zoning approval for any new structure and for work that improves a structure. You might contact the Town of Peletier to discuss the zoning classification for your property if you are planning some changes. This could save your time before you submit a building permit.
  • Where can I obtain a Zoning Permit?
  • Town of Peletier, 1603 Hwy 58, Peletier, 252-393-8666, Mon, Wed, Thurs 8am-12pm
  • Top↑
  • What is CAMA?
  • CAMA is an acronym for Coastal Area Management Act which is legislation passed by the North Carolina General Assembly in 1974. This legislation established the CRC (Coastal Resources Commission) which is the governing body for CAMA. The purpose of CAMA is to protect the unique natural resources of the North Carolina coastal areas.

    Check with before disturbing coastal area to ensure if a permit is required.
  • When am I required to get a Building permit?
  • Permits are required for any new construction, as well as alterations and additions to existing building, including structural, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, manufactured housing, boiler, and elevator work.
  • Why do I have to buy a permit to build on my own property?
  • North Carolina law requires you to obtain permits - even if you build on your own property - to ensure that minimum building standards are met for your own safety and for the safety of future property owners and occupants.
  • Who is responsible for obtaining permits?
  • The property owner and/or contractor is responsible for obtaining structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, on-site wastewater system and manufactured dwelling setup permits
  • Top↑
  • Where can I obtain a Building Permit?
  • Carteret County has established a Western Carteret Building Permits and Inspection Office conveniently located in Cedar Point at 701 Cedar Point Blvd. 252-393-3204.

    The Carteret County Building Code Inspections office enforces the North Carolina Building codes that include electrical, mechanical, plumbing, residential, commercial, fire and others with North Carolina Appendixes, which shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every building or structure or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures. The purpose of the code is to provide minimum requirements to safeguard life or limb, health and public welfare. (Reference 2006 NC Building Codes)

    However, there are some exceptions to the structural requirements. If you aren't sure you need a permit, call the Western Carteret office to speak with a Code Enforcement Officer, 252-393-3204.
  • Where can I take my household waste/trash?
  • Carteret County operates the 12 Convenience Sites shown below to collect Solid Waste from the residents living in the unincorporated areas of the county as well as collect recyclable and other materials from all citizens.

    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
    7 AM – 6 PM
    2 PM – 6 PM
    1 PM – 6 PM
    Waste collected at Convenience Sites around the county (further details can be viewed at
    • Batteries: Lead-Acid automobile batteries are accepted at the county sites.
    • C&D Waste: Solid Waste resulting solely from remodeling, repair or demolition by a resident on residential housing in quantities normally associated with residential housing maintenance. This is expected to be no more than a small pickup load, a 2 CY quantity – Large truckloads will be directed to CRSWMA facilities at Hibbs Road.
    • Household Bulky Items: These items also referred to as “bulk material” include household furniture, mattresses, and bedding.
    • Mixed Recyclables: Cardboard, newspapers, glass (brown, green, and clear), aluminum and bi-metal beverage & food cans, and plastic beverage containers (HDPE & PET).
    • Municipal Solid Waste (MSW): Any solid waste, garbage and refuse resulting from the operation of a residential establishment that would normally be collected, processed, and disposed of through a public or private solid waste management service.
    • Waste Oil: This waste is used motor oil resulting from the maintenance of household engines such as automobiles, trucks, boats and lawn & garden equipment.
    • White Goods: These items include inoperative or discarded refrigerators, ranges, water heaters, freezers, or other similar domestic appliance.
    • Yard Waste: This is solid waste consisting solely of vegetative matter such as leaves, pine straw, pinecones, grass trimmings, and small limbs in quantities normally associated with residential yard maintenance.
    • Unauthorized Waste: The County will not accept or transport any hazardous waste as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or any other waste that would not be acceptable for disposal at the Coastal Regional Solid Waste Authority (CRSWMA) Facilities.
    The County will not accept Commercial Waste. The convenience sites are for Residential Waste.

    If you have a question that is not answered on this page, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
  • Top↑